Friday, May 4, 2007

After a bit of a break...

I'm back! I know it's been a long time and all The Touring Magician has to show for it is a nifty sudoku feature, but in my defense I have been rather busy. The course at the Text-and-Talk Academy proved to be rather time consuming. However it came to an end at the beginning of last week and I'm pleased to report that it went rather well. Here's the proof...

They do have swish certificates, don't they? Anyway I had a great time, made some lovely, new friends and learnt all manner of exciting things about teaching and English grammar. I'm confident that I can go out into the world knowing all about passive voice constructions, tag questions, tenses of all shapes and sizes and how to gratuitously split infinitives. Hooray!

Ken and I have been to Uthai Thani a couple of time recently. That's the province where most of his family live. It's about 3 hours drive north of Bangkok and can be reached by coach or by one of the minibuses that career backwards and forwards across Thailand to just about any location you'd care to mention. It's nice to get out into the countryside to a smaller town. Although it's very different to the UK, it still reminds me of home in a lot of ways. We were there over the weekend but came back on Tuesday to see Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can 3. We were there for the Songkran festival too. That's the Thai new year which was the week before the end of my TEFL course. Everything closes for a week so everone can run around throw buckets of ice cold water at each other and generally have a very nice time indeed, thank you very much.

Now that it's all over I have jobs to start thinking about. I've just landed myself a part-time position at one of the big language schools very near to where I live. If your interested, have a look at http://www.wallstreet.in.th (If you do, the first thing you'll want to do is click on English at the top right of the screen). I'll be teaching at the Ladprao centre. Then I have a full-time job at Borpit Pimuk University teaching business English from the beginning of next month. I just hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew.

No comments: